The family winery WIMMER-CZERNY is situated in the little winevillage Fels am Wagram, several old documents about our family making wine and food in this house going back until early 17th century.
Fels is situated in the eastern part of Austria on the southfacing northern waterside of Danube river valley, in the little winevillage Fels am Wagram, part of wineregion Wagram, in LowerAustria, 70 km west of capital city Vienna.
3 Generations of Wimmer and 3 of Czerny comes together in our housename Wimmer-Czerny, which tells about 6 Generations on this farm. Today family Czerny is continuing this tradition on this house, making wine from 15 ha and also making organic food from 12 ha fields in the way of biodynamic agriculture (Demeter).
Family Czerny jun.
Terroir of “WAGRAM”...
- Terroir of Wagram, which makes our wines very special, comes from a aromabuilding climate of Danubevalley (big differences between temperature between day and night) and deep soils of “Löss”, a sandy clay with a depth of 20 m. It was blown by the wind during ice age from the broken stones at the glaciers of the alps to the Danube.
- Danube river flows at 180 m and our highest vinyards are at 370 m on the top of the slope.
- Region Wagram with 2500 ha vinyards in north of the valley of river Danube is famous for its deep soils of Löss. It stores water very good, especially if the summer is hot and dry, no need for irrigations. It makes very balanced wines, not so hard like on primary rock, but buffers the acidity with its minerals very good. Every kind of minerals of the alps is inside, but Löss dont enclose much organic mass or nitrogen. To get fertile, it needs diverse life to open it to the roots of vines.
- Its deep canyons is home for lots of rare animals, birds and flowers, we
take care about them...
Our 15 ha vinyards grows in Fels, Gösing und Feuersbrunn, only looking South to Danubevalley, between 220 m and 370 m. We produce 80.000 bottles a year, 90% white wine. Mainvariety is GrünerVeltliner (60%), than Riesling (10%), RoterVeltliner (10%) - century-old speciality of our region- and Zweigelt. The rest is Weißburgunder , Traminer and SauvignonBlanc.
We love to work with elder vines between 20 and 40 years, so the yields are rather low, but the roots are as deep as possible.
Our regional speciality is Roter Veltliner. an indiginous grape and since roman times here. The wine is bloomy and little rounder than GrünerVeltliner, in the vinyard the vines are very vital with less need of water and nutrients, so poor dry trerraces are best soils.
We are proud member and founder of SlowFood PRESIDIO and Community RoterVeltliner Donauterrassen Austria.
Since 2003 our whole farm, 15 ha vines and 12 ha fields, all our products and animals and fruittrees are a certified biodynamic farm of DEMETER, the biodynamic way of agriculture is the most sustainable way for better grapes and to find the face of the soil in the wine.
This means working in circles, using biodynamic preparats, respect cosmic rhythms and life during treating our products.
“The vine has a singular ability: All forces, which is saved in other plants only for the recent germ, which flows only into the seed and into the remaining of the plant, is poured in at the vine also into the pulp inside, all what was brought in the grape even to the highest tension, becomes available to humans.”
Rudolf Steiner, 1913
Rudolf Steiner, 1913
In the cellar ...
- Harvest happens only by hand, we select grapes carful in boxes. crunch by gravity into press and try a long contact between skins an juice.
- We use only own native yeast for fermenting.
- Hans Czerny works very minimalistic: no additives, less filtering, natural yeast, decanting at the right moment, long settlements and contact to fine yeast, to keep the soul. DemeterAustria-cellar-rules 2006 are the dream of every winelover, keeps out of cellar all the bad practices.
- No fermenting computer, long and slow ripening, breathing, our wines are wellknown for their own handsign, the special style of Wimmer-Czerny.
- WIMMER-CZERNY is wellknown for ist many different Veltliners and own fruity style. Since 1988 there is the light fresh Veltliner HEFEABSTICH, the other Veltliners are more fullbodied - FUMBERG, WEELFEL und FELSER BERG . Weißburgunder SCHEIBEN is classic style, Riesling comes also from vinyard WEELFEL, gives peaches and apricots every year, we make also a Reserve: GÖSINGER FREIHEIT. Small quantities of SauvignonBlanc, Traminer TRIO (grapes of Red, Yellow and Gewürz-traminer) und RoterVeltliner are beloved. With red wine we make a traditionel Zweigelt from 40 years old vines - Ried HAMMER is the fruity Version - and Reserve: AEOLIS, produced since 1987. If the year allows great qualities, we make Trockenbeerenauslese or Icewine of Veltliner or Riesling.
- Roter Veltliner is our very rare, several thousand years old, traditional grape, brought 2000 years ago by romans to Noricum, today it is in Slow Food Arch of Taste, it is our pearl in our wine list.
- Natural wines – the line PUR are mazerated, with Amfora, PetNat, unfiltered and sulfurless
- Visit our
SHOP to order from us.
WeinKult - Every First weekend of May - former Beltane
Taste all wines and take part on all cultural activities like music, paintings and listen to famous Austrian poets. And of course lots of organic products of Wimmer-Czerny or our organic friends in the region Wagram.(Cheese, bread, herbs, vegetables, corns,...)
LongNightOfDemeter - after Johannisnight - the sun reached the highest point of the year
We show all of our farm, all our wines, all our products,
different dishes of Mangalitza-pigs (an old local high-quality-race) in combination with paired wines. Friends of ohter Demeter-farms visit us and show also their things.
Events on our winery 2020
SALON Österr.Wein, winners in magazines like ALACARTE, FALLSTAFF, VINARIA, Gault-Millau 2 grapes; ; Germany: “MundusVini” Gold; WineSpectator 90 Pt. with G.Velt.Weelfel 2005 Wimmer-Czerny-Wines are since the 80ies in wineguides between the best Austrian wineries.